There was a recent article in the newspaper regarding a documentary entitled “FRESH” that will be shown in Dawson on March 17th at 10:30 during Ag Day at the Dawson-Boyd school. This is a great movie that tells stories of people who are working in their communities to create a healthy, sustainable food system.
From the website of www.freshthemovie.com you will find 10 great FRESH Solutions:
1. Drink plenty of water, but avoid bottled water
2. Avoid GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), buy organic
3. Buy local products, join a CSA
4. Support restaurants and food vendors that buy locally produced food
5. Volunteer and stay informed
6. Get involved in your community
7. Visit a farm, GET DIRTY! Have fun!
8. SHARE your passion
9. TEACH by example
10. COOK! at home with your children
These are all great thoughts to keep in mind when you live in and are involved with our rural communities. Whether you are a farmer, business owner or consumer it is a great idea to think locally with whatever you are doing. What we do today will directly affect the future of our lives, our communities and the success of our local businesses.
‘FRESH’ the movie is open to the public and is a great opportunity to learn about re-inventing the food system. Please plan on attending this local event. This showing is sponsored by the Lac qui Parle County Economic Development Authority and the Land Stewardship Project.